The U.S. Department of Energy is working with industry to quickly develop new fuels with enhanced accident tolerance.
These nuclear fuels will not only increase the safety of today’s light-water reactors but also improve plant performance at a crucial time for the U.S. nuclear industry.
A number of reactors are currently under economic stress and the benefits that these fuels bring to the table could make the case for utilities to extend plant operations.
Here are 5 things you need to know about accident tolerant fuels:
- Accident tolerant fuels beat the heat and perform better.
- Accident tolerant fuels last longer.
- Accident tolerant fuels improve plant performance.
- Accident tolerant fuels are industry-led.
- Accident tolerant fuels could debut by 2025.
View the full story at the official Office of Nuclear Energy site.